Sunday 2 September 2012

Ramzan


Ramzan or Eid as it is known to the masses, a festival of the Muslims, in which they show their feelings of brotherhood and love. Though I am a Christian I am not secular about it. I welcome all religions and accept them and also share my faith with them. After all we have only one life to share and love. There is one special reason for writing this too. This year’s Eid has been really special for me. Usually I stay at home doing my homely chores, and share what my friends bring to class after the festivities and all but this year my friend invited me over to his place for the celebrations. We had so much fun in the short time we had, we joked, ridiculed each other and shared what we had for breakfast and lunch. It was during this month that the holy Koran was revealed. This is the reason for celebrating Eid.

I always wondered about the festival of Eid and the customs they observe. People think its all about the food (not all but some), but I think there is a lot more to it than that. A whole day of fasting, starvation and the penance they take up, watching every word that emits pasts their lips with caution, making sure it sounded right at least they meant it right, staying away from the wrong influences. It sure does mean something way more than the feast later after the long day of fasting. Fasting is observed for a month as per the lunar cycle. A day of fasting makes us understand what it feels like to have something to eat means; the value of food and the pain of hunger. By watching our words we are giving the leash of control to ourselves. I think this is what that makes Eid beautiful and what impresses me about it.

1 comment:

Sham said...

thnks daa..nice article..